Monday, February 07, 2022

Bedside Woman

A few years ago, I picked up a Krokus record on a whim at a local record store. At the time, I hadn't really given the band any attention since I was a kid, and in a fit of nostalgia I thought it might be interesting to see if they had aged well. I was blown away with how much I was enjoying them, and very quickly I became obsessed with the band and bought a bunch of their records. I've never really thought too much about making any kind of a serious collection for Krokus, but when I saw a couple of cheap singles from a Discogs seller that I was already buying from, it was just too easy to add them to the cart.
I get excited over colored vinyl from back in the day. For the most part, everything was just pressed on black vinyl through the 70's and 80's, so when I find that a record has colored option from back then, it just seems extra special. This UK single for Bedside Radio looks great on clear vinyl, and I love that front cover photo of the guitarist breaking his back and rippin' a mean solo live on stage. Kick ass.
The Metal Rendez-vous record from 1980 is one of the last early Krokus albums that I need to get into my collection. In the meantime, I'll happily take this single.
I'm not sure if it was record label pressure or if Krokus just loved to play cover songs, but the band included one on every record that I can think of. They weren't even subtle about it by picking a deep cut to cover... nope, they would just deliver their version of other band's hits and someone was probably hoping they would bring in some easy money. On the One Vice At A Time record, from '82, Krokus gave us their version of American Woman. It is a decent song, but like most of their covers, it was the weakest spot on the album. The marketing team was really aiming for that teenage boy demographic here with that cover... oh hell, it is obviously a winning formula because it got me to buy it too.
Another great looking UK single.

No comments: