Thursday, September 30, 2021

Comes From Nowhere

It may be heresy to come from a record collecting blog, but I tend to use Spotify for the majority of the time that I spend listening to music. It is convenient and gives you some interesting end of the year stats, so I find it hard to step away from it. However, as much as I love Spotify, I also have some serious reservations on the service... one of them is due to it's limited offerings for older lesser known hardcore bands. I mean, what kind of world are we leaving the children if Spotify doesn't even offer them the songs from the Reveal 7 inch. If kids are using the Spotify streaming service for all of their music, there is a lot of history that is missing there. I tell you, it's a damn shame.

Occasionally, however, Spotify will make me proud. Such was the case when I did a quick search for Admiral. I was surprised when I saw that the band had a Discography album on there, and I was absolutely floored to discover that it contained a song that I'd never heard of before.

Shocked to discover an Admiral song, Comes From Nowhere, that I wasn't familiar with, I quickly hit Discogs to search and see if I'd missed it somewhere along the line. Mystery solved. It showed up on a comp called Beneath The Wheel from 1991. Thirty years after it was released, I finally discovered it. There was a seller with a copy available, and I didn't hesitate to buy it.
Not only is Admiral on this comp, but it also contains another favorite of mine from the early 90's, Greyhouse. Their Revolution By Numbers 7 inch was so good, and it was cool to discover another song that I missed along the way. In addition to Admiral and Greyhouse, Separate Peace do a decent song here and Zone One appear to be a band that was thrown together to just waste everyone's time on this record with a cover song from Kiss. All in all, this was a very cool find.

No comments: