Sunday, September 12, 2021

Lins Says

A good friend would support you when your band releases a new record. However, when Lins mentioned that his band, Tied Down, was releasing a split 7 inch with some band called Warwound, I kind of struggled to get interested. Sure, I jumped in a couple years back and grabbed the colored vinyl when the band released their first record... and yeah, that ended up being a really cool 7 inch... but I did not have the same reaction to last years split, and I'm sure that makes me a shitty friend.
There were a list of reasons for my indifference. First of all, it was only available on black vinyl, and without the immediate satisfaction of quickly ordering to get some limited colored vinyl, I was in no rush to pick up a copy. Second, the cover art for the Warwound side kind of put me off and it had me make assumptions that they would sound like some terrible Hatebreed influenced band. This leads me to my final point which is that there would only be three Tied Down songs, and spending the money for overseas shipping for just one 7 inch that contains about five minutes of music out of the band I wanted to hear...well, it just seemed like it wasn't worth the investment. Not only was I a shitty friend, but I was a cheap one as well.
When I finally saw a copy of that split 7 inch a year later from a US seller on Discogs for $5, I picked it up out of guilt.

Let's clear something up first. I was totally fucking wrong on Warwound. The two songs from them on this split are absolutely killer. Granted, one of them is a Sacrilege cover from '85 and the other was actually from a Warwound demo back in '83, but both of these songs rip. I had no idea that the Warwound history went back that far, and once again I'm proven wrong on my jaded judgements cast on a band that I don't know. I'm an idiot, and I obviously need to check out more from this band. Combine those Warwound songs with three vicious attacks from Tied Down, and this 7 inch is definitely worth the time. Such a great surprise.

No comments: