Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Metallica Vinyl Club #4

After countless delays, the first year of Metallica Vinyl Club comes to a close with the arrival of the fourth 7 inch. This year long subscription has been stretched out over two years, but in the end it's all good as Metallica delivers some cool singles to their fans. The series has delivered a variety of live songs, and a previously unreleased outtake...all housed in some fantastic packaging that includes some cool extras. The fourth and final 7 inch may just be my favorite of the bunch.
I've never been a Soundgarden fan. I've checked them out a few times but each time I'm underwhelmed...but that is the case whenever I listen to early records from Nirvana, Janes Addiction and Alice In Chains. I want to like it, but after a handful of songs I get bored and want to listen to something else. These two Soundgarden covers from Metallica make me want to check out the band again because, in typical Metallica fashion, they crush these songs.
Apparently there was an event back in 2019 as a memorial to Chris Cornell, with a ton of bands performing his songs as a tribute. Metallica did a couple songs from Soundgarden's first album, Ultramega OK, and man, they sound amazing.
Each single in this series has come with something cool, and this time around we get four postcards that feature Cornell's face mashed up with each member of Metallica in the style that band used on their Hardwired album cover. Well done. Now when can I sigh up for the next years subscription because I want more of this.

No comments: