Thursday, August 05, 2021

Four Walls Reissued

I really try to avoid the endless stream of reissues these days, but some of them prove to be too much to resist. When Patient Zero announced they were releasing a colored vinyl pressing for the first Four Walls Falling 7 inch, I knew that I was going to have to grab it. Four Walls was such an important band to me when I was getting into hardcore, and the songs from the Culture Shock album helped to shape me and how I see the world. Those songs are just as vital today as they were when I heard that record 30 years ago.
As much as I love Four Walls Falling, I have never picked up the first 7 inch from them. It was only pressed on black vinyl, and with 1,000 copies it never felt very limited so I just always figured that I'd grab a copy later while I'd focus on something more flashy. When Patient Zero posted preorders for the reissue, I figured that I might as well jump on it...ever though I expected the gold vinyl was going to look shitty.
The Patient Zero exclusive cover has a big X on the front, which seems kind of odd as I never considered Four Walls Falling to be an overtly straight edge band. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of this cover, it just seems like a strange choice for the band to use in 2020. 90 pressed on this black and gold split color.
This new pressing gets an update to the front cover artwork. While the original cover had it's late-80's hardcore charm, I find that this new version does look better. The gold vinyl on the other hand looks fucking terrible. Easily the worst color for vinyl. 196 pressed.
While Patient Zero missed the mark with the vinyl color, I'm still happy to have this in my collection...maybe I'll finally make that move on the original pressing now.

No comments: