Friday, August 06, 2021

Finest Worksong

In the early 90's, around the time of Automatic For The People, I found myself really enjoying R.E.M. At that time, bands like Split Lip and Endpoint were starting to rock a bit, and I was loving stuff like Rain Like The Sound Of Trains. I was really digging into some more of the indie/college rock kind of stuff, and R.E.M. could not be ignored. After a few years I stopped caring about the band, and even a few years ago I was telling a friend of mine, that R.E.M. were a band that I never needed to hear again. Shortly after making that bold statement, I am of course eating those words.
Something clicked with me earlier this year and out of the blue I found myself really wanting to listen to some R.E.M. I don't know where it came from, but man, suddenly I ended up with a couple R.E.M. albums queued up each day. After revisiting the band, I kind of wanted to add a record to the collection, and an original pressing seemed like the cheapest and best way to go.
Document may be my favorite R.E.M. album, so it only made sense for me to grab this one. Front to back, this is just such a great album. Man, I was stupid excited when this thing arrived. It was in great shape and I got such a kick out of dropping the needle and taking it for a spin.

No comments: