Friday, April 09, 2021

The Repentless Killogy

Slayer released their last album, Repentless, back in 2015. They then toured for the album, and followed that up with their final tour ever. Over that four year stretch, Slayer played Massacusetts six times, New Hampshire once, and the state of Maine one time...eight times they played where I could have taken the opportunity to see them live, and every time I turned it down. What an idiot. Now the band is done, and have left us one final testament with this live album.
I'm not too big on live albums, but I knew that I was going to have to pick up The Repentless Killogy at some point. When I was in the Nuclear Blast store picking up the Exodus picture disk single, I saw a new colored vinyl pressing for The Repentless Killogy, and figured that I might was well grab that at the same time...plus, I liked the look of the colored vinyl with the cover art and thought it was a good match.
As far as Slayer live albums, Live Undead captures the early years, Decade Of Aggression documents the band at their peak, and The Repentless Killogy puts to wax their very last show. What I love about this live album is that it represents all the eras of Slayer with a full seven songs from the band's post-2000 albums (although I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a single song from Christ Illusion here). Some people may want more of the classics, but I'm damned excited to have stuff like Hate Worldwide and You Against You documented here. Still, there are other songs from the two Inglewood setlists that would have been cool to see here like Temptation or Gemini. Any way you look at it, this is still a killer live record, and the band sounds absolutely vicious here and firing on all cylinders.

No comments: