Friday, October 21, 2016

One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Sac

In the pre-internet days of my youth, I had to base most of my music purchases on either the record cover artwork or the band name. If it had the possibility to offend or disgust, chances are, I would end up pulling from the shelf in the store, and take it right up to the counter to purchase. I had no idea who Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, Dead Kennedys, or Death were...but I knew one thing, my parents were going to hate it, and that was good enough for me. Same deal with Butthole Surfers. I had no idea what to expect when I first checked out their Locust Abortion Technician album back in '87, but I knew that none of my peers would dare check it out. I left them with their shitty Michael Jackson and Bon Jovi records, and took a chance.

Man...I listened to some weird shit from time to time, but the Butthole Surfers paled everything else in comparison. This stuff was so off the wall and fucked up that seventeen year old me loved it.

It has been a long time since I've been interested in listening to my old Butthole Surfers CDs, but after a recent obsession with Big Black, I felt the urge to dig into some other music from that time. Stuff that was a little removed from what I normally listen to these days. I added a couple of Butthole albums to the iPod, fully expecting to give it one listen and then get bored and dump it. But much like my experience with Big Black, surprisingly, I was really digging it. After repeat listens of Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac and Rembrandt Pussyhorse, I suddenly found myself checking Discogs for the pricing of their vinyl.

Once I got in and started looking at the pressing info, I noticed that Touch & Go pressings of the first two full lengths included a limited run on colored vinyl. Even though I haven't so much as thought about playing these records for the past 15+ years, suddenly, the common black vinyl option was out the window, and now I was ready to open my wallet and pay good money to get the colored wax.

As I was picking up a $5 Cast Iron Hike record from a Discogs seller, I decided to browse what else they had available in an attempt to possibly beef up my order beyond one little 7 inch. While I was looking around, I noticed they also had the clear vinyl for Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac available. So here I was, planning on a quick and cheap purchase, and somehow it snowballed to over a $55 total. Take me Mexican caravan...

No comments: