Monday, May 01, 2023

FU30

I've had my head so stuck in newer hardcore bands over the past few years that I completely missed that Fu Manchu were celebrating their 30th anniversary in 2020. To observe this milestone, the band released a series of 10 inch records. I missed out completely on the first one that the band did... hell, I missed out on the second one when it was released too... but when Fu Manchu announced at the end of 2022 that they were selling a bundle that included the second record from the series, plus their newest FU30 record, I jumped on it.
Each 10 inch record includes three songs... two originals and a cover song... with the cover design based off the original record for the cover song. So for this one, the cover is My Wave by Surf Punk and the cover is a nice rip off of that My Beach album. Very well done.
The photo doesn't really capture it too well, but this vinyl is the brightest neon pink that I've seen. It is a perfect match to the cover art.
The third FU30 record contains a cover of The Pimsouls A Million Miles Away... another obscure single that I'd never heard before, and again, the cover art is influenced by the original Pimsouls single. As a bonus (for me anyway, since I'm a big Clutch fan) Neil Fallon does vocals on the cover song here.
While I initially wasn't too excited about the last Fu Manchu record, Clone Of The Universe, back in 2018, it definitely grew on me over time. With the six new original songs on the three FU30 records, I'm loving it right from the start. Now I've just got to pick up the first one in the series at some point, and maybe when people calm the fuck down on Discogs, I can make that happen.

No comments: