Thursday, April 13, 2023

One Buck Landfill

After adding a record from a Discogs seller to my cart, I have no choice but to check to see what else they may have for sale. This is my system, and I kill way too much time scrolling through page after page of records, waiting for something to catch my eye. If we did an in-depth study of this process, discecting the data on when this "one more record" strategy has paid off, I think that things would lean heavily in the direction of "buying shit that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise".
Case in point, this Sleeper 7 inch. I really liked the Display EP that Sleeper released in 1991, but I kind of go luke warm on them after they changed their name to Serpico and released a couple of albums on Equal Vision. I figured that a record under the original Sleeper name might be interesting... and with the cheap price, it made it too easy to add it to an order that I already had going with a seller.
It looks like this 7 inch from 1993 was the last thing that the band would release as Sleeper. In fact, the song Splinter here will also show up on the first Serpico album... and that is a great song. It's cool to hear this earlier recording. I certainly wouldn't have actively hunted this down, but I'm kind of glad that I have it.
Obviously the "$1 Buck Landfill" sticker on the front of the record is a pretty good indication that very few people are actually going to give a shit about this record.

No comments: