Monday, April 17, 2023

Metallica Vinyl Club #8

Metallica recently released a new album, and while I have the record, I haven't listened to it yet. I've been a little slow on getting to the new shit this year. I have five or six new releases that are sitting next to the turntable that I haven't heard yet. While I was all about the new music last year, as soon as we stepped into 2023, I just want to listen to older stuff. So before I finally spin that new Metallica record tomorrow... or next week... or next month... let's get to the final record from the band's vinyl subscription club.
Metallica has put the whole vinyl club on hold, and they aren't sure when, or if they will be bringing it back. Right now they just want to focus on the new record and upcoming tours. Understandable, but if they ever bring it back, I'll sign up again with no hesitation. While every record wasn't a home run, it was still a good time. So yes, I'll gladly take more if they fire the vinyl club up again at some point.
Vinyl club release number eight is a bit hit or miss. I mean, the record is called Leftovers From The Black Album Box Set, so they were digging pretty deep to pull this stuff out. As the liner notes say on this record, the Black Album box set had 29 hours worth of music... so imagine what didn't make the cut for that beast, and then throw it on here. Side A of the record is pretty boring with a strings and vocal mix of Nothing Else Matters, and then a rough instrumental version of My Friend Of Misery. Meh. Thankfully, the B side saves things a bit with live versions of No Remorse (1991) and The Shortest Straw (1992), and I love the raw unpolished sound of James' voice on them.
As usual, the packaging is top notch, with inserts and extras. This time around we get a sticker sheet with everyone's face on it. Not particularly useful, but it is a nice addition. Well done.

No comments: