Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Supernova

A little over ten years ago, Control Records were a big deal for me. The label released 7 inches from some of my favorite bands at the time... like True Colors, Beware and Stick Together... and I rushed to secure my copies each time they put up something for preorder. At some point after the Beware 7 inch, the label kind of lost some steam, and I stopped paying attention. They would occasionally drop a new record or cassette over the years that followed, but there wasn't anything that really jumped out at me. When I heard that Control was releasing and album from a straight edge band named Spark late in 2022, suddenly I was very interested. It felt like 2012 all over again as I rushed to the label's website to order a copy without knowing much more about the band.
Spark are out of Germany, and their brand of hardcore reminds me of bands like Damage Control, or for a more modern reference, Speedway... or maybe that is just a generic Euro hardcore comparison to these American ears. Either way, I really dig it, and it grows on me even more with each listen. I'm going to have to think about tracking down that split 7 inch they did with Chain Reaction a few years ago.
100 pressed on clear blue vinyl.

No comments: