Monday, July 11, 2022

The Unexpected Guest

The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal covers a wide range of styles. From the more traditional heavy metal of Iron Maiden and Tygers Of Pan Tang, to the doomy Sabbath inspired Angel Witch, and the more fast and punky Raven. Then there is Demon, who have more of a 70's rock sound...possibly drawing a bit on Blue Oyster Cult for influences. Not a sound that I'd associate with the NWOBHM, but still, Demon were a British band in the early 80's, so they fall under the NWOBHM umbrella.
The Unexpected Guest was released in 1982, and is Demon's second album. I've heard that the band get a bit more weird and progressive after this record, so all I've ever listed to has been this one and their debut, Night Of The Demon. Both are great rockers.
This was another record that I grabbed from my favorite seller on eBay at the moment. His old metal records are in great condition and start with a nice low starting bid... I assume that not many people bother with eBay much these days for records, so I've been lucky to win a number of things from him at a low price. His latest auctions haven't interested me too much, so I wonder if he is hitting the bottom of what he was looking to sell. If this is the end of his good stuff, it has been a great run this year.
Demon apparently were a bit theatric with their live stage show, and it is cool to have a bit of that captured on the inside of the gatefold sleeve.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

I had only ever listened to Demon's debut (for no real good reason), but I am cranking this one on Spotify now, and it's so good. I may go down the rabbit hole and listen to some of the later albums, because you have piqued my interest. Your comment about the varying styles wrapped up in NWOBHM, I love that aspect of it. In case you haven't come across these yet, there's a great comp series called "Jobcentre Rejects", collecting a bunch of rare and lesser known NWOBHM singles, spanning I think from about 1978 to 1985. I have the first two volumes (of four to date, I think), and it really showcases just how varied the bands were--some of them hover so close to other genres, especially punk. I don't know what all is still available on vinyl, but they've done multiple pressings that they sell on the Jobcentre Rejects bandcamp.

Mike said...

That is great that you are digging this album. It is definitely a favorite of theirs for me.

I have heard of the Jobcentre comps, but I've never taken the time to pick one up. I've seen that the record store, and I always pull it from the shelf to check it out, but I've never followed through and bought one!