Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Start The Fucking Fire

I bought the Three Seven Inches On One CD comp from Down In Flames back in the day, but honestly, the whole thrashy hardcore thing came and went so quickly in the early 2000's that I don't think that I paid much attention to that CD. I remember liking it at the time, but I rarely revisited those songs and couldn't have told you much about them. When I was recently scrolling through a list of records that a Discogs seller had available, I saw a Down In Flames 7 inch available for cheap, and made an impulse decision to grab it.
I hadn't really given any thought to buying any Down In Flames vinyl, but when I saw this record cover, it really caught my eye. I don't know, that simple yellow and white design sparked my interest. It looked pretty rad to me, and it made me want to revisit Down In Flames. Buying this 7 inch seemed like a good start.
I'm glad that I grabbed this record on a whim because it has been proven to be a fantastic long lost gem. Fast and angry hardcore.
Number 64 out of 100 for this Coalition Records pressing.
A few weeks after picking up the special cover for the Start The Fucking Fire 7 inch, I found myself wanting a version with the original cover. When I saw this red vinyl copy for sale with a price tag under $2, I would have been a fucking idiot to not buy it. Got to love deals like this for bands that have been buried in time and dust... and it makes me feel like collecting more Down In Flames records because I get no greater satisfaction than buying records for bands that no one else cares about.
Another reason why I wanted another copy of Start The Fucking Fire was because the Coalition pressing wasn't released with any insert. They slapped a special cover on the record and called it good. The Gloom Records pressing has a nice foldout cover with lyrics, pictures and details inside. It only made sense to have a copy of this one in the collection too.
While I was picking up those Down In Flames records, I decided to grab their split with Tear It Up as well. Ten song 7 inch that lasts about ten minutes. Apparently some versions of this cover have the guys face and arms blacked out...this one does not. How difficult would it be to get one of those as well?
That clear vinyl with the yellow 45 adapter looks sharp.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

Man, that short-lived thrashy era remains among my faves. I saw DIF once (with I think Tear it Up and What Happens Next), and they killed it. I've picked up a few of those old 7"s I used to have recently for real cheap, and looking at these DIF records is making me want more. Forgotten records and eras are some of the best.