Monday, February 06, 2023

Time // Wounds

I absolutely loved Mos Generator when I first discovered them in 2014 with Electric Mountain Majesty. For years I was obsessed with that band and I picked up a number of very collectible records from the band... of which, I still get occasional messages on Discogs about, asking if I could please sell (never going to happen). While I was initially blown away with Mos Generator's heavy rock sound when I discovered them, the band have since been pushing their sound and incorporating some different influences to their style. Change makes me nervous, but with each album Mos Generator have proven that they still deliver the goods.
With the release of Time // Wounds in 2022, Mos Generator posted a number of messages on social media, thanking thier fans for sticking with them on "an album that steps way beyond the boundaries of our usual foundations". I was starting to wonder if this was the record that the band was going to get too proggy and maybe lose me. I didn't rush out to give any of the advance singles a listen, and was thinking that I may let this album pass me by... and then I saw a comment from Tony Reed (singer/guitarist) about the song Getting Good At Revenge where he describes the influences as starting with a No Means No intro riff before diving into a Black Flag My War-era sound for a bit. Okay, I needed to listen to that immediately. Damn. While this style is limited to that one song, it still convinced me to buy the album.
Much of what is pressed into these wax grooves still maintains that original Mos Generator identity. No doubt they are still rooted in heavy rock, but there are layers and a bit more complexity here, and I'm here for all of it. I can't believe almost let this one pass me by. First pressing limited to only 200 on the band's own Music Abuse label.

No comments: