Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Early Moods

About ten years ago, my playlists were packed with newer doom bands. Stuff like Orchid, Blood Ceremony, Kadavar and Orange Goblin were in constant rotation at the time, and I was super excited to be discovering all of those newer doom greats. It feels like it has been quite a while since a newer doom band has caught my attention like that, but as we were getting ready to close out 2022, I was introduced to Early Moods.
There was someone on Instagram that had the self-titled Early Moods record listed in their Top 10 for 2022. I'd never heard of this band, but since we shared a number of records on our top metal list for the year, I figured that I'd quickly check them out. I jumped to their youtube video for Return To Salem's Gate and holy fuck... I was floored. This was some amazing Pentagram/Candlemass influenced doom. Honestly, I can't remember the last time a newer doom metal band had me this excited. I was so impressed that I had to make a last minute change to get them included in my year end recap post, even though I didn't have the vinyl yet.
Riding Easy had a "hand pour" colored vinyl option. I wasn't sure what that meant, but it turned out to be this splatter pattern. I've seen worse, and I actually kind of like that way that it looks catching my camera flash in these photos.

No comments: