Friday, June 10, 2022

I'd Rather Be Alone

I write up my blog posts in the order that the record arrives in my possession. I've been itching to write the post for this Power Alone record for a while, but I've had to work through a considerable backlog to get here. No skipping to the front of the line, no matter how excited I am about a record.
Marcus sent me a message back in March asking if I'd ever heard the Power Alone record before. It was released back at the start of 2020, and I kind of remembered that people at the time were making some strong comparisons to that 90's hardcore sound. If I bothered to check them out back then, I probably only gave them about 20 seconds of my time and then quickly moved on when I heard the vocals. Revisiting this in 2022, I'm blown the fuck away and so glad that Marcus made the recommendation.
This album hits me fucking hard. These songs are packed with rage, and while initally the singer kind of put me off, I've come around and I'm totally sold on her delivery now. There is so much frustration and anger in her words, and they completely hook me into those emotions each time I listen to it. Honestly, Rather Be Alone is one of my favorite hardcore records right now.
When I was looking to buy a copy of this record, there was a Discogs seller that had the pink vinyl available for less than the current repress that's available through REVHQ. Pink is such a great color, and with that price tag it was obviously the way to go. At the time there was a white vinyl copy available as well for a few dollars more, and seeing how much I'm loving this record, I now wish that I'd bought that one too. Tempting to chase multiple copies for this one.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

Damn. I always confused that band with Higher Power and thus shrugged it off. After listening to the LP I must say I really like it. Thanks.