Saturday, June 25, 2022

Delayed Reaction

Pegboy were a band throughout the 90's, but during that time, as I was transitioning from metal to hardcore, they never commanded enough of my attention to check them out too closely. I'm pretty sure that I saw the Strong Reaction video on MTV's 120 Minutes, but it mostly likely wasn't heavy or aggressive enough to hook me at the time and I quickly moved on. Whatever the reason, it took me 30 years to finally decide to really check them out with an open mind, and holy shit, they hooked me quick. I downloaded both Three-Chord Monte and Strong Reaction and it wasn't long before I was listening to those songs daily. I expected to pick up the records for those quickly at the end of 2020, but trying to find US sellers turned out to be surprisingly difficult. After a few months I was able to get my hands on a copy of Three-Chord Monte, and then Marcus reached out to let me know that he had a friend that might be looking to sell a copy of Strong Reaction.
I am not a person that has a lot of patience. I tend to over-pay just to get a record that I want right now, as opposed to waiting for a better deal to come around. So even though I was very grateful that Marcus was putting in the effort to help me out, it pained me deeply to wait for things to materialize on this deal. Once all was said and done, I was very happy with how it all turned out.
Strong Reaction quickly became one of my favorite new finds of the year in 2020, so I'm very excited to finally own a copy of this record.
Marcus was selling a few other Pegboy records from his friend's collection, and I grabbed everything that I could. There were a couple of Pegboy records that I'd never listened to before, but Marcus took those for himself, but thankfully he left the Fore EP for me.
Released in 1993, Fore didn't immediately grab me like the early Pegboy records. To be honest, I was a bit turned off by the goofy cover art. Still, it is only four songs, and after listening to it a few times it really started to grow on me. Easily as good and catchy as their earlier stuff.
There was one more Pegboy records that Marcus had available and that was the Field Of Darkness 7 inch. I really wasn't to excited to pick this one up since the song was also on the Strong Reaction album, but it was only a few bucks so I grabbed it anyway.
I didn't realize it at the time the but the b-side song her, Walk On By, is exclusive to this record, so I'm really glad that I added this 7 inch to the pile of records that I was buying from Marcus. Great haul of records at reasonable prices, and now I've finally got a respectable Pegboy collection.

1 comment:

mcs said...

You should have mentioned the excellent shipping service too :o)