Sunday, January 09, 2022

The Nightcomers

As we were coming to the end of 2021, it had me thinking of what record collecting goals I wanted to set for 2022. When I started thinking about what I wanted to accomplish this year, my thoughts kept returning to the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. I know that my plans can get derailed and sometimes lose focus when my tastes bounce around to different genres, but right now my mindset is all about building a solid NWOBHM collection. I didn't chase many of those records last year, but picking up that mint condition Savage record was fucking huge, and the Geddes Axe single damn near made it into my Top Five list for favorite records that I picked up. I want more of that. Let's see how committed to this quest I can be, and we will check in a year from now and see how the NWOBHM Chase Of 2022 turned out.
Holocaust are one of the classic bands from the NWOBHM era. Raw, loose and loud... they are the very definition of bands from that period. They were a big influence on bands like Metallica, who went on to cover the Holocaust song The Small Hours for their Garage Days Re-Revisited. When I decided that I wanted to make a move on a big NWOBHM record, I had my sights on the first Holocaust full length album, The Nightcomers.
It took me some time to fully appreciate this Holocaust record. It kind of reminds me of the first Tygers Of Pan Tang album, where the vocals seems to lack the serious power of other bands at that time. However, these past couple of years has seen me really warm up to both the Holocaust and Tygers records, in part due to the raw youthful passion for heavy metal that is on display. These are young kids doing what they love, playing loud heavy metal music, and I'll always get down with that.

No comments: