Monday, January 31, 2022

In The Stars

One of the classic New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands that I want to get into my collection this year is Witchfynde. They are just one of those bands that you have to have their records if you are into the NWOBHM. I actually bought a copy of their first album a few years ago, but as luck would have it, it wasn't in the condition that the seller had listed it as so I ended up returning it...and I haven't gone back to try and find another one. I really hope to correct that this year.
While I've always really liked the first Witchfynde album, Give 'Em Hell, it took me some time to warm up to their second record, Stagefright. Initially, Stagefright just seemed to try to push itself to be more than it was. The vocals seemed to be a bit forced, and there were points that would make me cringe as it tried to push the boundaries of what was going on for metal in 1980. I've definately warmed up to that record over the last couple of years, and I really appreciate it these days. While I still need to get my hands on that second album, I was happy to recently grab the single that was released for it when I was picking up a few 7 inches from a UK seller.
Both songs on this In The Stars single are from the Stagefright album, but even though there isn't anything really new here, the songs are still great. I've always liked the look of those Witchfyne labels that Rondelet Records did, and the whole packaging here is a good look.

No comments: