Saturday, December 12, 2015

Curiosity Kills

When Pentagram announced they were releasing a new album over the summer, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the new Metal releases. The month prior, I'd already downloaded about 20 albums to check out, and as dumb as it sounds now, I was hoping the new Pentagram would suck so that I could write if off and not have to bother with it. When the new video single for the song Misunderstood was posted, I half-heartedly checked it out. It wasn't the standard Pentagram doomy sound, and leaned more towards early punk. It was just what I needed to turn my back on it, and say "This sucks".

When Sandwell recently mentioned that he was going to see Pentagram play live, we started talking about the new album, Curious Volume. Apparently, he really liked it, and since I trust his judgment, I decided to finally check it out myself.

Much to my surprise, I really liked the record. Hell, even the song Misunderstood sounded great in the context of the full album. I added it to my list of "2015 releases that I need to purchase before the year is done" list...yes, such a list exists. Since I had a $200 credit at the local record store after I sold a bunch of old punk CDs, it was an easy move to burn part of that credit for the new Pentagram LP.

No comments: