Thursday, July 17, 2014

Giving Praise At The Metal Church

I regularly get distracted on my quest to collect certain records. My latest passion has been to chase the silver label Megaforce pressings, but somewhere along the way I decided that I'd pull off the road and and spend some time at the Metal Church.

An obsession within an obsession. I have been listening to a lot of 80's metal...so much so, that I can almost feel my mullet growing back in. In cruising through my 1985 playlist, I stumbled upon the first Metal Church album. It had been a while since I'd given it a spin, so I figured that I'd check it out. Hot damn! I'd forgotten how great this album was.

After giving it a listen, I soon found myself queuing it up everyday. Fuck. Metal Church was never better than when David Wayne was at the mic. I could not get enough, and soon I was checking eBay for vinyl.

Before signing to Elektra, Metal Church released their first LP on the short lived Ground Zero Records. When I started searching eBay for a copy of the Metal Church LP, I knew that there was no way an Elektra pressing was going to cut it. I needed the original first pressing...and I needed it in excellent condition. When I found what I was looking for, I didn't hesitate to spend a few extra dollars to get what I wanted.

First pressings came with a merchandise insert. Dude, I would totally rock that muscle shirt right now.

Warning: ordering the Metal Church neck brace is only for serious bangers.

3 comments:

Rick Smith said...

I was working with the original drummer of Killer Dwarfs in a warehouse sorting boxes for a courier company in 1999 or so and he found out i was into metal /punk and he dug through his collection one weekend and came into work with a copy of this Metal Church LP a deathrow - raining steel, slayer - south of heaven and show no mercy for me.. pretty sick dude.. this metal church lp was trashed beyond belief and i never really got to play it but the slayer and deathrow lps where mint... maybe i should check this out..

Mike said...

That is awesome. If you've never heard the Metal Church album, you've definitely got to check it out.

Cyrcka said...

Hi. Thats a masterpiece!! I have the translucent version on Ground Zero records. Could u give the exact matrix runout on both sides? Thanks