Monday, August 31, 2026

R.E.M. 8 X 12

A few years ago, I had a slight R.E.M. obsession going. I probably listened to them more in 2023 than any other year... including the early 90's when I first discovered them. I was in deep that year, and I was very excited about picking up a couple of albums... and was giving serious thought to chasing some of the R.E.M. singles. Like most of my obsessions, it faded with time, and R.E.M. was just another band that I would occasionally take out for a spin.

When Jeff offered me eight R.E.M. singles from Tim's collection earlier this year, I wasn't really that interested. Did I want to spend the money and dedictate the shelf space to these records? Not really... but still that old obsession was scratching at the edge of my mind, telling me that I may regret it if I let them pass me by... plus they were all UK 12 inch versions, so with an average price of about $10 for each one, I said "fuck it" and just bought the lot of them.

S. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) was the first single from R.E.M.'s Reckoning LP in 1984. That song is really good, and combined with the non-LP track Voice Of Harold on the b-side makes me happy to own this as I listen and write this post at 10:00 at night. So calming for my brain that has been frazzled from a busy Monday. Finishing up the single is a cover of Lou Reed's Pale Blue Eyes, which is just okay but still I nice exclusive song to end the 12 inch.
(Don't Go Back To) Rockville is the second single from Reckoning, and might be my favorite song off the album (although admittedly I'm not really too familiar with this album). The rest of single includes Wolves, Lower, which is a killer song from their Chronic Town EP, plus live versions of Murmur's 9 - 9 and Chronic Town's Gardening At Night. My copy has some water damage to the cover, but whatever, it was cheap.
Now we move on to the 1985 album Fables Of The Reconstruction, and the lead single Can't Get There From Here. Another great song, as I'm listening to these singles while I write this post, I'm feeling more and more glad that I bought these. It's such a nice late evening vibe. Two more exclusive b-side songs here with Bandwagon and Burning Hell.
Another single from the Fables LP with this one for the song Wendell Gee. This one seems like an odd choice for a single. The song's okay, I guess, but I don't love it. B-side has a cover by another Athens band, Pylon, for the song Crazy, plus a live version of Driver 8.
There are times when I think that Life's Rich Pageant might be my favorite R.E.M. album, and this single for Fall On Me is from that one in 1986. Great song, with the b-side instrumental of Rotary Ten, and then an amazing cover of Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic. That cover was such a cool surprise.
Another one from Life's Rich Pageant with this Superman single. I had no idea that this song was a cover, until I was writing this right now. The b-side has a surf rock instrumental, White Tornado, and another Lou Reed cover with The Velvet Underground's Femme Fatale.
Arguably another possible favorite R.E.M. album with Document, with probably the band's biggest single, It's The End Of The World As We Know It. The b-side here is for live versions of This One Goes Out and Maps And Legends.
Another single from the Document LP with Finest Worksong. We get two different mixes of the song here, including a "lengthy club mix", plus a live version of Time After Time.

Whew, that was a lot of R.E.M. and a lot of work for eight singles, but putting this post together made me appreciate these records a bit more... which is nice because I was really dreading having to write this one up.

No comments: