We tossed around a few ideas to try and figure out what we should do to kick off our project. It was difficult to come up with records that both of us hadn't heard, so I suggested that maybe we could do something where we take a smaller label from the 90's, and we tackle their early catalog. Maybe one of us will find something we hadn't heard before or perhaps we may rediscover a record that we'd forgotten about... and as an example, I threw out the name Initial Records. Of the first five records that Initial had released in '92 and '93, I was really only familiar with one of the 7 inches, and had only recently discovered one other. Marcus, of course, knew all five very well, but we figured that it would be an interesting conversation, so we decided to move forward with that plan.
The project was a lot of fun, and I had a blast discovering a few records that I'd never heard before. As a result, I ended up buying some vinyl in the process, so lets cover them all in a series of posts this week.
I'd seen the name Pittbull thrown around, but didn't know anything about them, and never heard anyone talk about them... so I ignored and forgot about them. As soon as we started this Initial Records project, I downloaded the two songs from their self-titled 7 inch, and I was instantly hooked. First record into the project and I was very excited with what we were doing. Honestly, if I'd stumbled upon this record as I was getting into hardcore in the early 90's, I would have eaten this shit up. Maybe it seems a little generic in 2026, but I'm extremely thrilled to discover this.The Pittbull 7 inch was originally released in 1989 on the band's own Fist-O-Cuff label, and then Initial bought the remaining stock from them and released it as Initial number one in 1992 with a different cover. When I was looking to buy a copy and document this project here on the blog, I would have liked to pick up the pressing from Initial, but there wasn't one available from a US seller... so I went with this first press, and I'm not mad about it.


No comments:
Post a Comment