Thursday, October 05, 2023

The Old Ways Remain

There was a time when I was obsessed with Rise Above Records. Sandwell and I would keep each other apprised of new preorders for all of their shit. We would order anything and everything, with zero regard for overseas shipping costs... and then, at the end of 2018, the label got too eclectic for me, and I stopped paying attention. By coincidence, the last thing that I ordered from Rise Above was the Lolly Willows 7 inch from Blood Ceremony in 2019. At the time, I was hopeful that there was a new Blood Ceremony album on the way. Well, one global pandemic and four years later, here we are.
I have loved Blood Ceremony's brand of occult rock since I first heard Living With The Ancients back in 2011. I hadn't really heard anything like that at the time, and they blew my mind. Seeing them open for Ghost at The Middle East in Boston in 2012 cemented it for me. This band was amazing and I was fully onboard for everything they released after that. So, obviously I jumped on those Rise Above preorders for The Old Ways Remain.
Blood Ceremony deliver exactly what they do best on their latest album. It may not be as doomy as previous albums, but those haunting vocals and flute from Alia help stamp their trademark sound throughout. It wasn't an immediate hit for me, but this has really been a grower. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it.
The old ways remain with Rise Above diehard pressings as this one comes with a bonus 7 inch with the exclusive song Falling, plus a demo version of Powers Of Darkness.
You really can't beat a Rise Above diehard clear vinyl pressing. Feels really good to have a new one in my hands.

No comments: