Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Run Your Fucking Luck

Back in 2020, Drain released California Cursed on Revelation and at the time I couldn't give a shit. Sure they were on one of the best hardcore record labels, kids everywhere were hyped on the band, and their live shows looked sick as hell... but based on the 30 seconds that I spent checking them out, I did not like their sound at all, and I put them in my rearview mirror.
Drain released a new album this year, and for some strange reason I was feeling like maybe I needed to give this band more of a chance this time around. So it was with an open mind that I blindly bought a copy of Living Proof back in February.
Straight out of the gate, when the opening song kicks off with "Run your fucking luck!", I was hooked.I get it now. The hype on Drain was real, but I was too stubborn to pay attention. This record is rad as fuck. I'm even down with the hip hop Intermission. The only thing that feels out of place here is the Descendents cover of Good Good Things. Drain absolutely nails the song, but it just doesn't fit the vibe of the record overall, and when I'm listening to this on Spotify, it is an easy skip. So glad that I gave the band a chance... now to go back and get right with California Cursed.

1 comment:

mcs said...

You got the best color vinyl option as far as I'm concerned. Looks rad.

Totally agree with the Descendents cover. I really wish they'd put that as the last song. It's so annoying having to skip it to get to the last song. Just put it at the end that way we can all listen to the album all the way through and then press 'stop'.