Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Castrato

About five years ago, I discovered Man Will Surrender with their Five On A Dime EP. I may have been over 20 year late in checking out this band, but that's cool because sometimes the best finds are old bands that you missed out on back in the day for one reason or another. I really loved that 12 inch, and I was tipped off that some of their other stuff was really good as well. Five years later, and I finally decided to follow up on that advice.
I was buying some other records from a seller on Discogs and I saw the Man Will Surrender 7 inch, Castrato, was available as well. With a $4 price tag, I figured that it was time to finally check it out.
This 7 inch from '95 is a bit more raw compared to Five On A Dime, but damn, I love these three songs (two on the 7 inch, three on the CD version that I downloaded from Soulseek). Call me crazy, but there are times where a song will remind me of something from Mudvayne. Not that Man Will Surrender were years ahead of the Nu Metal sound, but there is a groove there that makes me think of that band... plus that soft vocal delivery that ramps up to a kind of growl. I don't know... but it does make me unsure if I want to dig out my L.D.50 CD or listen to more mid 90's hardcore.

No comments: