Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Beating Around The Bush

Back in 2017, I started a quest to collect original Australian pressings for all of the AC/DC albums from the Bon Scott era. They don't come cheap, so I've had to pace myself... basically picking up one a year. Last year, I stumbled and didn't pick one up. Record prices were getting out of control, and it made me very tentative about pulling the trigger on something big like an Aussie AC/DC pressing. This year, I needed to make it happen.
With it's unique flames cover, I knew that Highway To Hell was going to carry a big price tag... but as the final Bon Scott studio album that I needed for the collection, I was determined to just get my hands on one regardless of the cost. Fucking hell. This thing looks and sounds amazing! As soon as I dropped it on the turntable and the title track kicked off, I knew that I'd made the right decision in buying this thing.
I tend to lean towards Powerage as my favorite AC/DC record, but Highway To Hell makes a case for taking the top spot. This record is so fucking good. Front to back, every song on here is a blast.
I decided to pull out my original US pressing for Highway To Hell to get the side-by-side photo. While I do like how the flames cover catches your attention, I may prefer the other one with plain shot of the guys just standing there. Angus with the schoolboy uniform and devil's tail is too iconic to hide under a blanket of fire.

While Highway To Hell is the last studio album I needed from the Bon Scott era, I do still need an Australian press of the live album, If You Want Blood (and don't get me going on the few different pieces of colored vinyl as well). Maybe next year.

No comments: