Sunday, April 19, 2020

Mindwar / Evolve

I've mentioned numerous times on this blog about my obsession with issue number nine of the No Answers fanzine. I studied that fucking thing, and had each record review as my roadmap for which bands I should be checking out as I started getting into the more underground side of hardcore. In the review section there was a photo of a band called Mindwar. No review for them...just a photo from Spanky's Cafe taken in July of 1990. I'd always been curious about the band, so when I was adding a bunch of cheap records to an order with a discogs seller, and I saw a split between Mindwar and a band named Evolve, I took a gamble and bought it with hopes that I'd finally found something from this old hardcore band.

Turns out that this is most likely not the Mindwar that I was looking for. The Mindwar on this 7 inch is from Connecticut and formed in the fall of 1990, so it is unlikely that they were playing shows in California that summer. Kind of disappointing that it wasn't the band I was hoping for.

Oh well, they are still an early 90's hardcore band, so I'll give them a shot. The two songs here are okay...nothing mind blowing, but it is some cool melodic hardcore that definitely fits with what was going on at the time.

The songs from Evolve are a bit better, and they definitely fit that metallic hardcore sound that was popping up in '92/'93. I imagine they were listening to a lot of those early Chokehold and Earth Crisis records. This record is kind of cool to own if you enjoy obscure 90's hardcore bands. I dig it.

As it turns out, while trying to find some info on Evolve, I found that they showed up on a Connecticut comp that included Another Wall. I fucking love Another Wall, and have never heard their song on this comp, so I'm obviously going to have to get that at some point.

No comments: