Saturday, September 12, 2015

Charged G.B.H. Live

Earlier this year, and over the summer, I was on a huge G.B.H. kick. I was chasing after the early Clay Records singles (I still need that elusive Give Me Fire/Mantrap 7 inch), and I was listening to the band daily. As I was recently picking up the Done Dying LP over at REVHQ, I noticed that they had this live G.B.H. album from '83 in stock. Sometimes when I'm on these kinds of obsessions, I make questionable choices, and I quickly added the live LP to the cart.

I'm not sure what I was expecting for this record. I mean, we are talking about a scrappy punk band that was probably playing a shitty club in England in the early 80's. It's not like it was going to sound phenomenal, right? The sound quality on this is pretty raw, as it sounds like a decent bootleg...hell, a couple songs sound like they just drop off as if the original tape was cut.

Overall, it is okay for what it is. I doubt I'll listen to it very often, but like those live bootlegs that I do own, it will be fun to dust it off every five or ten years, and hear that raw live energy.

No comments: