Saturday, September 26, 2015

Gun In Mouth Blues

Earlier this month I mentioned in a post that I'd been getting caught up in the Seven Inch September game over on Instagram. I was having a lot of fun with it, but got burned out around Day 19, and jumped ship. While I was doing it though, I was getting a charge out of posting a bunch of old early 90's hardcore records...just a bunch of shit that I figure that most people have either forgotten about or never cared about in the first place.

One of the records that I posted was the Junction 'Mouth As A Gun' 7 inch, that I had on black vinyl.

When I was buying records in the early 90's, I was not what you would consider a "collector". I bought records to own them, and I didn't know anything about colored vinyl or limited pressings. I bought all my stuff through distros like Ebullition, Very, and Lumberjack, and this most likely insured that I ended up with regular black vinyl pressings. Such was the case with this Junction 7 inch record.

When Geoff commented on my Junction post on Instagram, asking if there was a red vinyl version, I honestly had no idea. In photographing my black vinyl press, I noticed that it was that really cheap vinyl...you know the kind...it is black vinyl, but when you hold it up to the light, it has a transparent quality. I assumed that people had probably mistaken this cheap black vinyl for a "red" pressing, and that a true red vinyl was the stuff of legends. Leave it up to Marcus to step in and set me straight. Red vinyl did exist, and even though I had no desire to collect different pressings for Junction, for some strange reason I was suddenly drawn to purchasing this record. What the fuck is wrong with me? I was quite content not knowing that this existed, and now I was suddenly desperate to own a copy. Finding one for cheap on eBay did not help the situation, and soon after, I was paying for a second copy of a record that I had no intention of collecting. Dipshit.

While I was comparing the two copies that I owned, I figured that I'd take a photo of the two of them with some backlight. Damn cheap ass black vinyl.

1 comment:

chris said...

Funny enough because of that Instagram post I also tracked one down on red.