Monday, September 30, 2024

Every Day Is Leg Day

There have only a few new releases so far this year that have really surprised me and had me excited. There have been plenty of discoveries for me this year that have given me a charge, and I've enjoyed listening to some new records that have come out, but for those that I've really obsessed over... they have been few and far between. One of those that has really caught my attention though, has been the new Whores album.
I've seen the Whores name pop up a few times as a recommendation on Spotify, and while I wouldn't say that the band name turned me off, let's just say that it didn't exactly make me rush to check them out. I don't know... I guess that I assumed they were some super sludgy sounding band , and I wasn't interested. But I recently saw that Whores were going to be playing near me, and with a new album I figured the time was right to finally put those assumptions aside and actually give them a listen.
Oh shit. Very quickly after I started to check them out, I wanted to buy the album and catch their live show when they come through town. Well, since I'm out of town when they will be playing their live show here, I guess I'll have to just be happy with one of those things. This record, from start to finish, is great. It isn't as sludgy as I expected, and some of these songs move alone nicely, but overall this thing hits hard and heavy... my mind keeps thinking My War era Black Flag (with less depression and more fuzz). Fuck. This one surprised me and I'm eating it up.
I wasn't sure which colored vinyl pressing I wanted. I didn't think that the option were all that great, but decided that I'd order the third press of blue in clear vinyl from the label, and that would be good enough. Instead they sent the second press of orange in yellow, which is a color combination that doesn't even make sense here. Ugh. I should have just bought what I wanted through Discogs.

No comments: