Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Broken Distance

When I listen to music, I usually pick a year and then stick around listening to the records from that year over and over, until I feel the need to move on to something else. A couple of years ago, I found myself stuck in a 2008 playlist. For me, that seems to be a time period that I rarely reach back to, and I attribute that lack of attention is due to the fact that my brain insists that 2008 was just a couple of years ago. I either listen to stuff that is brand new to me, or stuff that is really old... anything in the middle kind of gets lost, and 2008 kind of falls in that weird in-between place. Because of this, it was really fun to stick around in that year and dust off and rediscover some records.
One of the records that I found myself really getting into when revisiting 2008 was the Hourglass 7 inch from Broken Distance. I wasn't really familiar with the band at that time, but years later became good friends with the singer, David, when he was running Salad Days Records, and it was a lot of fun to finally spend some time with one of his early straight edge bands. I started digging into the pressing info for Hourglass because I was tempted to pick up some colored vinyl if the price was right, and in the process I discovered that there was a second 7 inch from the band. Sundown was released 9 years after Hourglass, so I'm assuming that the band just got back together to record the final songs that they had written... but I immediately loved what I heard and wanted to buy the record.
I reached out to David immediately and asked if he had any spare Broken Distance records laying around because I wanted to buy one of anything he still had available. He told me that he probably had some stuff at his parents house, and that he would check the next time he was there. Over a year later and I still haven't heard back from him on it, so when I saw a cheap copy of the white vinyl in the racks at Wanna Hear It, I quickly added it to the handful of records that I needed to buy.

158 pressed on white vinyl.

No comments: