Saturday, February 24, 2024

Guided By Angels

Another band that my friend Sarah recommended last year, that I wouldn't have bothered to check out otherwise was Amyl and the Sniffers. I don't think that I'd even heard the band name before she sent me a song to check out, but there was something there that I would have avoided if it weren't for her recommendation. I'm not sure why that is, because the band name seems like it was lifted straight out of the 70's punk scene, but it kind of turned me off. Still, in my effort to approach new music with an open mind last year, I hit play on the song... and holy shit, it hooked me immediately.
Amyl and the Sniffers was so fucking infectious and catchy, that I ripped through the song Sarah sent me three times and then I moved on to check out the entire album. I was floored. There was so much energy here that it captured my full attention. I stopped what I was doing at work and could not turn away from what was coming out of my speakers. 15 minutes after Sarah had sent me the link to the song I was on Discogs and buying the record. I could have taken the 10 minute drive up the road to the record store and grabbed a deluxe vinyl version that included a second LP containing their live at Williamstown set, but I figured that this US press on "Romer red" would be good enough.
After hearing Amyl and the Sniffers, I obsessed over them for a solid week, checking youtube for any live performance from the band that I could find. I was fascinated with the energy and intensity of the singer and I could not stop watching. After a while, and listening to the record multiple times a day, I had to force myself to put it away for a bit so that I didn't burn myself out on it... but this album and the Gulch record were probably two of my favorite finds last year.

No comments: