Monday, September 04, 2023

72 Seasons

Metallica work on their own time schedule. It is going to take them 6 or 7 years to release a new album, and if you want to bitch about it, well, the line for the Metallica complaint department starts right over there. Go to it. That shit is so played out. I'm always down for some new Metallica.
72 Seasons exceeds my expectations. Look, there was some great stuff on their last album, Hardwired, but that thing felt a bit bloated and I rarely return to it. This one though, even at 70 minutes, I'm fucking loving it from start to finish (and while the album cover isn't amazing, it is a hell of a lot better than Hardwired). I don't know what it is, but these songs really hit for me. They sound exciting and fresh, and I'm instantly hooked. I absolutely loved Death Magnetic, and this record is hitting me with those same feelings. This is possibly going to be the metal record that I'll be listening to the most throughout 2023.
The "midnight violet" was the indie store exclusive colored vinyl, so on release day, I went to an actual record store and bought it. Felt weird to have to leave the house to get a record and not just have it show up at my door.

No comments: