Friday, April 22, 2022

Planet Based Diet

I was a huge fan of Voivod back in the 80's. I really liked the raw early albums, but with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross, the band was on another level. Those two records are fucking perfect. Hell, even Nothingface from '89 was pretty cool. After that though, nothing has really interested me very much. I had some high hopes in the early 2000's when the band reunited with the original singer, Snake, and I've picked up a number of albums from the band since then, but each one failed to make much of an impression on me and was soon forgotten.
I didn't really have much interest in the latest Voivod record, Synchro Anarchy, but I still took the time to check out the video for Planet Eaters. Okay okay...this is a pretty cool song, but would Voivod be able to hold my attention across the entire album? Surprisingly, the answer is very much a yes. Even at almost 50 minutes, this record never feels too long, and I'm engaged throughout the entire thing. I haven't been this happy with a Voivod album since Nothingface. Very cool.
Transparent green vinyl for the US pressing is looking good.

No comments: