Monday, April 25, 2022

Let The Vio-lence Burn

When forced to pick my favorite thrash album of all time, more often than not, you'll find me awarding the title to Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare. It is only seven songs long, but it is a non-stop assault from start to finish. Absolute perfection. When I first heard that the band were back together and recording some new songs, I didn't know what to think. Could the band still play on the level of their peers like Testament, Overkill and Death Angel...or were they going to fall on their faces?
The first single they released was a cover of California Uber Alles, and that song was underwhelming as fuck. The band sounded good...Killian's vocals are great...but, man, listening to them cover that Dead Kennedys classic is just awkward. Plus the video with the slight bullshit slant of the "government is trying to control you with mask mandates" during a pandemic, isn't a good look. You'd think that a combo of Vio-lence and DK would be entertaining, but it isn't. Strange way to come out of retirement, and that they did a video for it, but I'm at least grateful that it didn't make it onto the new Let The World Burn EP. After the initial disappointment I approached the next single, Flesh From Bone, with a bit more apprehension but thankfully the band redeem themselves here.
I really enjoy the five songs on this EP. I know that the band was hesitant to release new material 29 years after their last album, but Let The World Burn is a nice addition to the Vio-lence catalog.

No comments: