Sunday, April 24, 2022

2000 Resurrection

I've mentioned it before, but I completely checked out of metal durning the 90's. While it was my life blood throughout the 80's, by the time we hit 1990 and 1991, I was discovering hardcore and those bands just seemed more real and vital to me. While metal was struggling to stay relevent through that decade, I was oblivious to it all. I suppose on some level, I was aware of the big changes like Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden and Halford taking an exit from Judas Priest. Funny enough, as I was starting to get interested in metal again around 2000, Maiden saw Dickinson return to the band, and Rob Halford was releasing the best thing that he'd done in ten years with the Resurrection LP from the Halford band. Metal still wasn't fashionable, but it was starting to make a comeback.
Goddamn. When Rob kicks off this album with the scream of "Resurrection" it gives me chills. The entire album is a monster, ripping with plenty of those Priest vibes that I loved in the 80's. Halford truly captures that metal spirit on this album, and it is no surprise that a few years later we would see him reunite with the rest of the Priest guys as 80's metal nostalgia was heating up.
Resurrection did see a vinyl pressing from the UK when it was released in 2000. That original pressing sells for around $200, so I was happy to see it was getting reissued this year. This reissue sounds good to me, but the packaging is kind of shitty. It is like they lost the original artwork, and resorted to using a smaller image that they blew up to fit the album cover. It isn't very clear and comes across as cheap.
300 pressed on silver vinyl.

No comments: