Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Mantic Ritual Returns

I was big into the thrash revival that started kicking up some dust in the late 2000's. I'd been heavily getting back into metal after stepping away from it through the 90's, and when I discovered that old school bands like Overkill, Testament and Death Angel could still release some absolutely blistering thrash this late in the game I was impressed as hell. When I also found that a bunch of newer bands were paying respect to that 80's thrash sound, I embraced it. Sure it could get a bit goofy at times with some comic book lyrics, I didn't care. Bands like Bonded By Blood, Gama Bomb and Evile were a blast and I dug the hell out of them. Those bands don't see a lot of action in my playlists these days but when I saw that Mantic Ritual were back at it and releasing their first material in 12 years, I couldn't resist checking it out.
Mantic Ritual released one album back in the thrash revival era, Executioner from 2009. If you want to see where I rated that album for that year, and also take a peak at how far my year end wrap ups have come over time, you can check that shit HERE. That album was obviously one of my favorites from those days, so I was excited to pick up their two song 7 inch, Crusader. One new song, and a cover of Black Funeral. Mercyful Fate isn't an easy band to cover, but Mantic Ritual do the song justice here, and that new song is really good as well.
Just like their Executioner album, the cover for this thing makes it look like it is a death metal record, but make no mistake, this is straight up thrash. I hope that we hear more from the band because this is great teaser.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

Ha, wow. I peaked at your 2009 end of year list you linked in this post. It's clear where my head was at in 2009, because I only ever listened to one record on your top 10 hardcore list (No Tolerance), but I blasted every one of your top 10 metal from that year. Now I'm getting kinda nostalgic for that feeling at the beginning of the thrash revival.