Monday, October 12, 2020

I Want My Japanese MTV Singles

It has been an odd kind of year, and so to find my musical headspace turned upside down, shouldn't be surprising. I feel that with everything so fucking frightening and maddening this year, people have to find some solace where they can get it. So right now, I'm not going to over analyze my obsession with the early 80's MTV hits from my childhood...it makes me smile, so I'm just going to roll with it.

When I picked up a few Japanese 7 inch singles a few months ago, I wasn't sure where I was going with it or if I'd reallyl continue with that stupid obsession, but goddamn, it was a lot of fun and I couldn't stop thinking about expanding the MTV singles collection. I've spent more time on Discogs searching for these things over the past couple of months that I've probably spent looking at any other records, so inevitably I was going to pull the trigger on more of them.

With my first haul of MTV singles over the summer, I picked up a couple of Men At Work records. That band was a pretty big deal when I was eleven, and it was fun to revist the songs for those video that I'd watched countless times as a kid. When I started thinking about buying some more MTV singles, my first move was to grab another one from the band. Down Under is a bit cheesy and is probably overplayed, but it was definitely a part of my childhood, so I needed it in the collection...plus, that koala cover looks rad.
No lie. Lately, I've really been digging the Hall & Oats stuff from the early 80's. These guys were all over the radio and MTV at the time, and I guess it has wormed it's way into my subconcious because I have been loving their hits recently. If I'm going to invest myself into these Japanese singles for the early MTV hits, I needed some Hall & Oats. It's funny...I've always despised the saxaphone, and always thought it killed any song when it showed up, but man, here on Maneater, that shit is smooth. Apparently, I can dig some 80's pop sax. Who knew?
In reminiscing about those early MTV video hits, I remembered that Huey Lewis and the News were pretty big at the time. I had kind of forgotten all about this band but since I figured they kind of defined this era, I decided to revisit them. Wow. I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I listened to a couple Huey Lewis singles, and eventually just listened to the entire Sports album. Not onlyl was I surprised to find that I knew just about every song on that album, but I was also having a blast with those songs. I needed to get something from this band into my Japanese singles collection. I found the I Want A New Drug single and didn't hesitate to grab it. I'm not sure how deep this obsession will go for these MTV hits, but one thing is for sure...I'll be tracking down more Huey Lewis singles.

No comments: