Monday, October 24, 2011

Ceremony Covers

I've got a strange relationship with cover songs. I love a good cover, but the thought of an entire record of them...I can think of much better things to spend my money on. To this day, I still haven't picked up the double 7 inch of Chain covers, or that Revelation covers album. Maybe I'll pick them up someday, when I've got some spare change in my pocket. Right now, I just can't justify it.

When I saw the announcement that Ceremony was releasing a covers record, I shifted in my chair, surprised myself with an unexpected fart, and then moved on. Yawn. And then Bridge Nine posted a picture of the vinyl. Goddamn, it looked so good, I knew that I needed a copy. I've always enjoyed Ceremony, so the creative packaging was the push I needed to buy this thing.

The album cover lists the names of a bunch of bands that influenced them. Really, where else will you find Led Zeppelin next to G.G. Allin?

The more limited pressing of this record was on red vinyl, but Bridge Nine packaged it with a giant poster. I wasn't willing to spend the extra cash for such a useless item, so I went with just the clear vinyl pressing.

To be honest, I'd never heard a single song on this record...not one original. Therefore, these weren't like covers at all, but more like 6 brand new Ceremony songs. With some bands, you hear a cover song, and you want to search out the original and discover a band you had never heard before. Not in this case. I don't ever need to hear Pixies, and I can be quite content only hearing Ceremony's brilliant cover of them.

1,500 pressed on clear vinyl, with a screened b-side.

2 comments:

Dobek Ohashi said...

Let me just repeat that:

You have never heard Urban Waste 7"???

Do yourself a massive, and I am talking massive in giant proportions, favour and download it somewhere like right now.
Ferocity of this EP (along with the Abused and Antidote EPS) is almost unmatched by anything else of that period of time

Being into HC and not ever bothering to listen to UW is like being Krsna and not ever getting arsed with chanting. :)

Mike said...

ha ha...thanks for the tip, Dobek. Honestly, I don't know how some things slip by me for 20+ years.