Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wake Up To the Real Deal

I don't know if I'd call myself an expert on hardcore, but I'd consider myself pretty well versed on the subject. Sometimes though, I find myself feeling like a newbie when I find myself getting into an early 80's hardcore band for the first time and wondering what the hell took me so long to finally check them out. Sure, I've heard the name Antidote thrown around in topics of New York Hardcore, and the record cover for their 7 inch is pretty well known, and although I downloaded the songs off this record years ago, I never really listened to it. As a side note, I'm note sure why I download stuff, and not get around to really listening to it for years...too much music, too little time?
I suppose the my excuse for not hearing Antidote back in the 80's and early 90's was that back then I didn't have the availability to download anything and everything with a simple Google search. The record was out of print and collectible by the time I got into hardcore, and since I didn't really have any serious connections or friends in the hardcore scene, there was never an opportunity for the songs to make there way into my collection. Now, with Bridge Nine repressing the record, I figured it was time to finally get into it.


When it comes to re-issues, Bridge Nine has made some excellent choices, and released some amazing hardcore classics on vinyl. Project X, Agnostic Front, Underdog, and now Antidote. Bridge Nine apparently loves New York Hardcore. I missed the green colored vinyl pressing for this (limited to 300), but I did pick up the white (700) and red (1,000) pressings.
Packaging for B9 re-issues is always top notch, and tries to match the original layout and inserts. Can not wait to see what the label may re-issue next.

No comments: