Thursday, October 28, 2010

From The Mouth Of Hell

Since Halloween is just around the corner I figured that I'd throw up the devil horns, and pull some stuff out of my newest acquisitions pile...you know, to try make my last posts of the month be a little more "evil".
I recently picked up the Hellmouth LP, Destroy Everything, Worship Nothing. Livewire Records released it about a year ago, and after checking out a couple of songs, it did not grab me so I decided to pass on it. Fast forward to a couple months ago and the song Pawnshop St. Christopher pops up in my itunes shuffle...hot damn, it was better than I remember, and I start trying to hunt down a copy on colored vinyl.


Listening to the album the whole way through was a little tougher than I thought it was going to be. Sometimes, Hellmouth's mix of hardcore and metal works for me, and other times I cringe a little bit. Outside of the late 80's Crossover sound, I have a difficult time getting into bands that try to blend hardcore and metal. To my ears, the two styles just don't belong together. I like my hardcore and metal in their purest forms, but every once in a while a band will successfully pull it off. Cruel Hand and Iron Age do a great job of this, and while Hellmouth doesn't really hang with either of those bands, they still do a decent job of it.

Man, the back cover shot with the skulls is fuckin' bad ass! 666 were pressed on vinyl for this release, but only 166 of them were on red colored vinyl. I got number 165. Cool.

No comments: