Saturday, March 07, 2015

The Dagger Of 1978

Late last year, I'd heard some great things about The Dagger. They had released a video for their song dedicated to the year that Powerage and Long Live Rock n Roll were released, 1978...I'd checked out the song, but was pretty underwhelmed by it, so I quickly moved on. Still, I kept hearing about how great this band was, and even Iron Fist magazine was singing high praises for their review of the album...dropping names like Deep Purple, Rainbow and Saxon. Bowing under the pressure and hype, I finally checked out the entire album.

Much to my surprise, I really liked it...and soon I found myself listening to it daily. The song 1978 has grown on me, but is easily the weakest link on the album. Man, this record is such a fun listen. With the 70's and early New Wave Of British Heavy Metal influence, it is surprising that most of these guys used to play in a couple of 90's death metal bands.

I don't typically pay much attention to what Century Media releases, and I haven't even bothered to check out the latest Sick Of It All album they released. When I was checking out some vinyl in the CM Distro store, I saw The Dagger LP and didn't hesitate to finally buy myself a copy. This would have been a tough contender to break my Top 10 list for 2014.

No comments: