Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Second Of June

There is no better feeling than discovering some long lost 90's hardcore punk record that puts your jaw on the ground with how great it is. As strange as my listening habits have been this year, I still keep returning to those 90's Ebullition style emo bands. So through the deluge of Tiny Little Houses and The Cure songs, I'm still giving bands like Moss Icon and Shotmaker plenty of playing time. As I was fucking around in Spotify earlier this year, I was checking a list of recommended similar bands for Current and I saw Plunger in there. I'd basically forgotten about that band, and figured that I'd check to see if they struck a chord with me in 2024. Oh shit. Yes, this is exactly what I want in my ears right now.
Plunger were one of the many bands in the mid-90s doing this style, and while other bands might have caught more of the spotlight at the time, Plunger were still making their own mark. Checking out their discography on Spotify reminded me just how much I loved their 7 inch, and splits with Blank and William Martyr 17. A year or so after the release of those early Plunger records, I was moving on to the youth crew revival stuff, and so I quickly forgot about them and completely missed that the band released an album in 1997.
Listening to this record today is like travelling back in time. I don't think that there are bands doing this style anymore, and if there are, I'd be surprised if they could pull it off as successfully as those bands were doing it back in the 90's. Honestly, this record has some of the best music that I'll discover this year. I love this shit so much.
As it was required for all 90's emo bands to do something extra with their packaging, this Plunger LP comes with a 10 page booklet with lyrics and various writings from the band.

No comments: