Monday, May 04, 2020

Solitary Confinement

While on a recent mission to pick up a record that was more substantial than the cheap haul of forgotten 90's hardcore bands, I was feeling content and fulfilled as I added an old Broken Bones 7 inch to my Discogs cart. The seller had a ton of other classic punk records for sale, and as I started scrolling through everything he had available, suddenly I wanted more.

A few years ago, I got heavily into late 70's punk. I hadn't paid much attention to those bands previously, but suddenly I couldn't get enough of that sound and I was hungry to discover bands from that era. I found so many great records and bands, and one of them was The Weirdos.

I've been familiar with the name The Weirdos for years...I remember seeing the Circle Jerks play live around 2003 and Keith Morris was talking about how great The Weirdos were before going into a great version of Solitary Confinement. Shortly after that show, I downloaded a copy of the Weird World comp from the band, but it never really moved me and eventually I deleted it. Finding myself deep into a '77 style punk obsession a few years ago, I figured that I'd give The Weirdos another chance and I downloaded their first two 7 inches. I fucking loved it. I'm not sure what didn't hook me with that comp the first time around, but this time I couldn't get enough of those early songs.

Two songs on the legendary Dangerhouse Records...although, this Weirdos 7 inch is actually the only thing that I think I've heard from this label. Maybe I should finally see what else they have to offer.

No comments: