Saturday, May 09, 2020

Empires Fall

It has been a few years since we've heard anything from Night Demon. The band took the number one spot on my Best Metal Albums of 2017 list, so I was excited to see what the band would deliver with their new single, Empires Fall.

This song is fucking great. Straight forward traditional heavy metal. A couple guys from Rancid lend some back ups for the chorus, and even though I've never liked that band, this song is so much fun that they don't fuck it up. Man, I was supposed to see Night Demon last month with Satan, before coronavirus came along and cancelled everything, and hearing how great this song is makes me even more disappointed in missing that show. I don't know if Empires Fall is a prelude to an album later this year, but goddamn, if it happens it may top my 2020 list.

The b-side for this single is a cover song from some obscure New Wave Of Heavy Metal band named Le Griffe that I've never even heard of. The song, Fast Bikes, is great and I love digging in deep with the NWOBHM, so this was a great introduction to the band. I'll definitely be looking to check out more Le Griffe.

300 pressed on opaque blue vinyl.

No comments: