Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Chase Is On

While I've always loved Reach The Sky, it wasn't until a few years ago that I got it in my head that I needed to really collect them. I made a good run at their first 7 inch and quickly grabbed a complete collection, plus I picked up some other random records from the band and I was on my way.

Somehow, three years have passed since I started up this Reach The Sky collection, and since that initial burst of activity I've made no further progress. While I was picking up some cheap records from a Discogs seller, I noticed that they had some records from my want list available. They were ridiculously cheap, so I didn't hesitate to grab them.

The Open Roads And Broken Dreams 7 inch was the first record from the band, after their Lost Glories demo, and the Boston hardcore scene was really strong at that time. I must have seen this band every other month back then.

Green vinyl is limited to 400. I have the white pressing so now all I need is the blue.

When the Everybody's Hero 7 inch was released in 1999, I wrote it off as pointless single from Victory. All the songs were on the So Far From Home album from Reach The Sky, and it kind of bummed me out when bands would release these kind of singles. It felt like a trick where the label would get you to buy the 7 inch, and then also include those songs on the full length a couple months later. Nothing exclusive here, but I do love these songs, and I want to complete the collection, so.....

This 7 inch was pressed on both grey and clear colored vinyl, and now I have them both, so this one is complete.

I'm almost done with the Reach The Sky 7 inch collection...unless I also chase after their splits with Buried Alive and With One Intent...which of course I'll have to do, and there are a number of pressings for those two records, so it may take me a little longer to complete this.

2 comments:

mcs said...

For some reason it makes me happy to see you getting sucked into the stupidity of chasing complete collections. I was starting to feel like the only person who hadn't grown out of it.
You also made me check what RTS 7"s I have. Somehow I only have two, one of which is this exact 7" here on green (the otehr being the split with Buried Alive). I am sure that I had one of each 7", so am scratching my head as to how I don't. All I can think of is that I traded or sold them. But I have no memory of doing so. Weird.

Mike said...

Yeah, I've been doing this a bit more lately. Thankfully, I'm a little gun shy ordering records right now with concerns over COVID delivery delays, or else I would have made a bunch of Snapcase and Strife purchases over the past couple of weeks that I don't really need. Ha!