Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Sacred Obsession

Even though I'm a big fan of Doom, there are still bands that are considered to be classics of the genre that I've never bothered to check out. Wino is undoubtedly a Doom legend, and has been in more bands and released more albums than I can keep track of...and the only thing that I've bothered with until now has been his work with St. Vitus.

When I was picking up the new Gruesome single, I noticed that Relapse also had a new record available to preorder for The Obsessed. Seemed like a good time to finally check them out, so I queued up the video for the new song Sacred...and then immediately added the record to my shopping cart.

This album plays tricks on me. On the one hand, I really like these stoner/doom jams...and then on the other hand, I'm thinking that the entire thing is too long, clocking in just under an hour. By the time it is over, I find myself thinking that I can stick in on a shelf and forget about it for a while....and yet when Sodden Jackal kicks the album off, I'm so impressed that I think I could listen to the album every day. Such conflict. Maybe I should start by taking the Thin Lizzy cover, It's Only Money, out of the rotation.

750 pressed on red with gold splatter colored vinyl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should also check out the album Jug Fulla Sun, by Spirit Caravan. Another great band with Wino singing.