Sunday, May 27, 2012

Orchid Of Doom

In the early 2000's there was a screamo band out of Massachusetts called Orchid. They sucked. Man, I hate that style. Ten years later, San Francisco give us a Doom Metal band with the same name. Hell yeah, now that's more like it! Orchid released my favorite Metal record last year with Capricorn.

Originally, Capricorn was only released on CD. I felt like the only way to own this, the only way to do it justice, would be to wait for the vinyl pressing. Through Facebook, the band kept promising that the vinyl was coming. I just needed some patience. I waited it out, and as soon as the preorders went up at Nuclear Blast, I quickly ordered my copy. It was an overseas order, so I paid through the roof, but as far as I was concerned, the band was worth it. A couple weeks later, it was announced that the colored vinyl pressing was available through the record label, The Church Within. Goddamn it, I wasn't expecting a colored vinyl pressing and pulled the trigger too early. While I was tempted to order the colored vinyl as well, dropping another $80 for two records from overseas was not going to happen.

To say that Orchid were heavily influence by early Black Sabbath would be an understatement. Some of these riffs seem like they were lifted straight from those classic Sabbath 70's albums. Does it bother me? No. This album crushes.

The gatefold packaging is very well done. The whole thing looks amazing.

The status updates from the band on Facebook would occasionally mention a painting that someone in the band was doing for the vinyl release. It ended up making it into the Capricorn release as a poster. Pretty bad ass.

In addition to the vinyl release of Capricorn, The Church Within also pressed Orchid's 2009 EP on vinyl for the first time. Through The Devil's Doorway is another slice of pure 70's Doom. Fucking impressive.

Yeah, the packaging is cool as shit for this 12 inch EP as well. No paintings of boobs, but it still rules.

Ozzy reunion with Black Sabbath in 2012...who cares. Orchid will demolish anything that Sabbath will hope to produce this year.

2 comments:

jensen said...

Screamo-style Orchid sucked? Sorry, but I just can't take this blog seriously anymore ... Just kidding. Although ...

Mike said...

Ha ha...it was never a style that I really did anything for me. I tried, but I found it was never a sound that I could hang with.